16 November 2021 9:30am–12:30pm
The closing date for this course is Tuesday 26th October 2021
This course is designed as a general introduction to the law on employment rights and contracts of employment and is aimed at stewards with little experience of employment law and no previous training in employment law beyond what is covered in the general stewards’ induction course: The Organising Steward.
The course will cover:
- Employment rights – what they are, how they are defined.
- The basics of contracts of employment
- The different types of dismissal
- An overview of discrimination law
Note that this course does not deal with any issues specific to the Covid-19 pandemic, e.g. how furlough works, when SSP is additionally payable etc. The course is concerned only with core employment law principles.
The course will be delivered via Zoom and take place over 3 morning sessions
- Tuesday 16th November – 9.30am to 12.30pm
- Tuesday 23rd November – 9.30am to 12.30pm
- Tuesday 30th November – 9.30am to 12.30pm
To apply, you must:-
- Be a trained and active UNISON steward or other branch activist
- Be able to commit to attending on all 3 of the above dates for the full 3 hours
- Be able to access a secure internet connection and have a computer or tablet on which to access to Zoom
- Have permission from your employer if you are using their IT equipment
- Have agreed Facility Time (time off) from your employer to attend the full 3-hour session if attending during working hours.
- Be prepared to spend approximately 2 hours at home before and in between training sessions on exercises which we will send you in advance.
- Have agreement from your branch to attend, as there is a £30 fee to attend this course.
To apply for a place please complete and submit the following form: