We offer a range of shorter workshops, which can be opened up to both members and non-members.
Want to find out whether any of these workshops is running near you? Or are you a learning rep who wants to run one of them in your workplace? Contact your regional education team.
CPD workshops with the Open University
An expert Open University (OU) facilitator will visit the workplace, local UNISON branch, or OU office, to deliver a continuing professional development (CPD) session. This is a full day’s taught session which takes participants through a variety of materials, activities and discussions in order to improve knowledge and understanding around a specific topic.
This course is aimed at school support staff. The day covers:
- what autism is
- symptoms of autism
- areas of difficulty
- supporting children with autism
The course is aimed at school support staff. The day covers tips and techniques for dealing with challenging behaviour.
This workshop aims to help you understand:
- what is meant by the term ‘dementia’
- causes and types of dementia
- how having dementia affects the way a person behaves and functions
- that there is more to a person than the dementia
- that it is possible to live well with dementia
Mental health awareness
This workshop aims to help you:
- develop a greater awareness of mental health
- understand the main mental health problems that people face
- gain an insight into the experience of having mental distress
- explore some strategies for promoting good mental health
- take a revised awareness to the workplace