18 – 28 October 2021
UNISON has developed a learning pathway for union reps that establishes a collective approach to mental health at work. The union rep progression pathway starts with participating in either the UNISON or TUC Mental Health at Work Course to develop and embed a collective approach to dealing with workplace mental health issues. A range of mental health short courses and webinars are available that will build on the collective approach and UNISON will now be offering the Mental Health First Aiders courses. This course will enhance the collective approach by securing buy-in from employers to establish systems and policies that support health and wellbeing strategies by having trained UNISON Mental Health First Aiders and Champions embedded within organisational structures.
By the end of this course participants will have:
- An in depth understanding of mental health and the factors that can affect well-being
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s self-help resources, through UNISON, their employer, the NHS or a mix.
This course will be delivered over four morning sessions:
Session 1: Monday 18 October, 10am-1pm
Session 2: Thursday 21 October, 10am-1pm
Session 3: Monday 25 October, 10am-1pm
Session 4: Thursday 28 October, 10am-1pm
To apply, you must:
- Have previously completed either the UNISON or TUC Mental Health at Work Course
- Be able to commit to attending on the above dates and times
- Be able to access a reliable internet connection and have a computer or tablet on which to access a video conference platform and an online learning hub
- Have permission from your employer if you are using their IT equipment
- Have agreed facility time (time off) from your employer to attend all sessions if attending during working hours.
- Be prepared to set aside time at home before and in between sessions on short exercises which we will send you in advance.
To apply, please complete the form below.